ASSOCIATE DEAN, MEDICAL STUDENT EDUCATION
GEISINGER COMMONWEALTH SCHOOL OF MEDICINE (GCSOM)
HARTZ Search invites you to explore an exciting opportunity with our newest client, Geisinger Commonwealth School of Medicine for the Associate Dean for Medical Student Education. The Associate Dean for Medical Student Education is responsible for the successful delivery of the medical curriculum, including planning, management, pedagogy, student assessment, and evaluation. The Associate Dean functions as the Vice Dean’s delegate in assuring the appropriate design and delivery of an integrated curriculum, including coordinated management of the school of medicine’s clinical campuses. The Associate Dean oversees curricular outcomes and works closely with the faculty, students, and the assistant dean for evaluation and assessment to assure that the curriculum is effective and undergoing iterative quality improvement. Our client is seeking a dynamic cultivator of talent who will drive innovation and increased scholarly activity for the Geisinger Commonwealth School of Medicine. The ideal candidate will build on the momentum of its recent curriculum renewal. A major ongoing goal of the curriculum renewal is to further align the medical school experience with the needs and strengths of the Geisinger Health System, to graduate students who will contribute to improved health in the communities they serve.
Geisinger Commonwealth School of Medicine (GCSOM) educates aspiring physicians to serve society using a community-based, patient-centered, interprofessional, and evidence-based model of education that is committed to inclusion, promotes discovery, using innovative techniques. Geisinger Commonwealth School of Medicine was established through the grassroots efforts of visionary individuals who foresaw what a community-based medical school would bring to the region and worked to make it a reality. The Commonwealth Medical College (TCMC) was incorporated in 2008 and welcomed its first class of Doctor of Medicine (MD) degree students and Master of Biomedical Sciences (MBS) degree students in August 2009. TCMC integrated with Geisinger Health on January 1, 2017, and became Geisinger Commonwealth School of Medicine (GCSOM).
- Associate Dean for Medical Student Education reports directly to the Vice Dean for Education
- Supervises the Clinical Education Team
- Geisinger Commonwealth School of Medicine uses a distributed model of medical education with 6 regional clinical campuses: Central (Danville), Guthrie (Sayre), North (Scranton), South (Wilkes-Barre), West (Lewistown) and AtlantiCare (Atlantic City, NJ).
- Oversees several innovative programs, such as the Abigail Geisinger Scholars Program for Primary Care, a 3+3 program and the Research Honors Track.
- Minimum Required Education: doctoral degree in medicine, science, or education
- Minimum Required Experience: appropriate educational, clinical, fiscal, and scholarly leadership experience and expertise
- Significant experience in medical education (MD) curriculum development, implementation, and leadership
- Expertise in education pedagogy, assessment, and evidence-based approaches to medical education
- Experience in medical education research/scholarship resulting in peer-reviewed publications
- Familiarity and experience with LCME accreditation
- Participation in the medical education community at a regional/national level as evidenced by attendance/presentations at national and regional education society meetings and service on national/regional education committees
- Track record of championing and implementing medical education innovations.
- Demonstrated success in working well with faculty, administrators, and students in an educational environment
- Passion for and commitment to medical student education
LOCATION: Scranton, Pennsylvania
Scranton, PA is the largest city in Lackawanna County, with thriving neighborhoods with unique character that are rich in culture and steeped in history. Scranton is known for outdoor adventures, rich history, vibrant arts scene, exciting things to do, and a wide variety of delicious ethnic cuisine—Where City Meets Country. Ski mountains, countless lakes, hiking trails and game lands are all within 10 minutes of downtown. Scranton is only 100 miles from Urban destinations such as New York City and Philadelphia, offering a unique blend of outdoor adventures and access to some of the largest metropolitan markets in the US. Scranton offers a wonderful quality of life with a focus on education, health care, professional services, a stable workforce and access to transportation to get you anywhere you want to go.
INTERESTED CANDIDATES, PLEASE APPLY DIRECTLY to HARTZ Search below:
Qualified candidates, please submit your current resume - applications will not be considered without a resume. Thank you!