YALE SCHOOL OF MEDICINE
NEW HAVEN, CONNECTICUT
HARTZ Search welcomes you to explore an outstanding opportunity with our newest client, Yale School of Medicine for the role of Controller. Reporting to the Yale School of Medicine Deputy Dean, Finance & Administration, and a dotted line to the Yale University Controller, the YSM Controller (Director), will serve as a strategic business partner to senior leadership at the School of Medicine and the YSM business community to promote accounting integrity and effective internal controls. This position will lead the strategic planning, compliance, and financial reporting for the School of Medicine. The YSM Controller will be a key leader responsible for ensuring compliance monitoring and oversight and financial integrity are highly effective and efficient to support the financial health and strategic goals of both the School of Medicine and University; will also develop financial objectives that support the organizational mission and vision. The Controller will need to possess strong skills and demonstrated success in optimizing data analytics: internal controls, research data, space utilization/ allocation and HR, relationship building in a heavily matrixed enterprise environment, and continuous process improvement & standardization capabilities.
The Yale School of Medicine Controller will have a primary focus on the following key areas, but not limited to: Financial Reporting and Accounting, Costing and Capital Expense Management, and Accounts Receivable Management.
- Initiates and develops University accounting policies and procedures.
- Oversees problem resolution and decision making for financial, administrative, and human resources programs and requirements which affect the operation as a whole.
- Determines and negotiates University cost rate and how to implement changes in accounting rules and government regulations such as the Tax Reform Act or rules affecting recovery of indirect costs.
- Develops and directs a broad spectrum of accounting operations ensuring compliance with University, federal, and state regulations.
- Directs the development of automated financial applications; establish strategies, goals, and objectives for each financial function.
- Manages the development and design of processes and systems for tracking and recording accounting transactions; the flow of securities/cash to and from various invested assets.
- Serves as primary resource on policies and guidelines related to grants and contracts or other accounting operations.
- Supervises staff of exempt and non-exempt employees.
- Oversees University’s accounting operations or grant and contract functions; initiates and develops recommendations to higher financial authorities to institute new or modify existing accounting policies and procedures
- YSM Controller reports directly to the Deputy Dean, Finance & Administration, with a dotted line reporting relationship to the Yale University Controller
- Direct Reports:
- Education: Master’s Degree in Accounting or Business Administration.
- Experience: Ten years of related experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- Demonstrated understanding of financial reporting and analysis, accounting principles, costing model development and usage, capital management and accounts receivable management.
- Demonstrated leadership, management and team building skills with the ability to make business decisions quickly and effectively
- Analytical, process-oriented, excellent attention to detail with the ability to work with large data sets.
- Proficient with Microsoft office including comprehensive knowledge and understanding of excel.
- Preferred: CPA with 10 - 15 years of financial accounting experience, including significant experience in the management of complex accounting operations in a large, decentralized setting. Prior experience in federal F&A rate analysis and financial business process redesign.
- Workday ERP
- Competitive Compensation, benefits and relocation to be shared with qualified candidates
Location: New Haven, CT
New Haven, CT is a coastal city on the Long Island Sound, home to the Ivy League Yale University and tremendous arts & culture attractions; such as the Yale Peabody Museum, Yale University Art Gallery, and Center of British Art. Downtown has something for everyone, from dining to shopping to entertainment to cultural attractions and green spaces. New Haven is a food and art destination with coffee shops, pizza joints, and public art displays across the city.
INTERESTED CANDIDATES, PLEASE APPLY DIRECTLY to HARTZ Search below:
Qualified candidates, please submit your current resume - applications will not be considered without a resume. Thank you!