DIRECTOR, RESEARCH FACILITIES
CITY OF HOPE – CANCER CENTER & CANCER RESEARCH CENTER
HARTZ Search is excited to announce a new engagement with our client partner, City of Hope, Cancer Center & Cancer Research Center in Southern California for a Director, Research Facilities City of Hope is a private, not-for-profit clinical research center, hospital and graduate medical school located in Duarte, California, United States. City of Hope is best known as a cancer treatment center. It has been designated a Comprehensive Cancer Center by the National Cancer Institute and has been ranked one of the nation's Best Cancer Hospitals by U.S. News & World Report for over ten years and is a founding member of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network.
The Director, Research Facilities provides research facilities support to investigators at the direction of the Vice President – Supply Chain, Facilities & Construction Management which includes space and equipment, maintenance, repair, personnel moves, safety and campus projects. Ensures that all tasks and responsibilities are completed in a timely manner and at reasonable costs. Support Beckman Research Institute in its emergency planning and disaster response management. The ideal candidate will have experience in Research Lab Management in an Academic/ Cancer Center setting and constantly seeking ways to optimize space and provide support. The new leaders needs to be a dynamic and a strategic thinker that understands the nuances of supporting Academic lab processes, while ensuring proper allocation of space for current and future growth.
- Research Facility Support
- Responsible for facility support and assistance to COH research enterprise (85 labs throughout the system, approximately 600K sq. ft.) from a lab and space perspective, including: lab upkeep, maintenance and lab/equipment moves
- Reviews COH research enterprise building and infrastructure needs for and recommends both immediate actions and long-term resolutions
- Responsible for onboarding new faculty lab operations
- Responsible for identifying and resolving space ownership and allocation issues (in conjunction with VP, Supply Chain, Facilities & Construction Management, Sr. Director of Research Administration, Vice Provost and Provost)
- Renovation Projects/Project Management
- Serving as liaison for COH research enterprise oversees on time and on budget delivery for all construction projects
- Serves as liaison and subject matter expert for research community for construction project intake, scoping, design, construction and activation, working with Facilities Design & Construction
- Directly oversees/manages a subset of projects indicated above (projects directly assigned to Research Facilities group)
- Provide guidance and leadership to subordinates and to departmental business personnel to increase the competencies of the organization.
- Provide leadership in the recruitment, selection, evaluation and development of staff in the Research Facilities
- Research Space Management
- Responsible for upkeep and accuracy of COH research enterprise space ownership database in Archibus
- Directs the annual space allocation inventory and continually updates the space ownership database with real time information as physical locations change
- Compiles and provides regular and ad hoc space ownership data/reporting to COH research enterprise leadership
- Lab Safety
- Collaborates with the Senior Director of the Safety to improve laboratory safety within COH research enterprise
- Emergency Response
- Designs and maintains the research emergency response plan and infrastructure for COH research enterprise
- Participates on the Campus Emergency Planning Committee on behalf of COH research enterprise
- BRI sub-command post leader
- Oversees acquisition, upkeep, maintenance, disposition and replacement of COH shared research equipment (non-core) including shared equipment inventory
- Maintains spare/surplus research equipment for COH research enterprise and oversees warehouse facility
- Maintains COH research enterprise freezer/cryo inventory and prevents loss of samples through overseeing monitoring/response to freezer/cryo alarms
- Ensures available space and power for COH research enterprise equipment
- The Director will have 6 Direct Reports
- Reports directly to the Vice President – Supply Chain, Facilities & Construction Management
- Minimum Education Required: Bachelor, Business Administration or Management – Master’s degree preferred
- Minimum Experience: Seven (7) years’ experience in Research Laboratory Management
LOCATION – SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA:
City of Hope is headquartered in Duarte, California a city located in the San Gabriel Valley and 25 miles east of Los Angeles, California. San Gabriel Valley and the Los Angeles metro areas are filled with world class dining, shopping and cultural activities for everyone.
INTERESTED CANDIDATES PLEASE APPLY TO HARTZ Search:
OR Email resume to:
HARTZ Search is a retained, executive search firm conducting searches for our Healthcare and Academic clients across the US. Our focus is on Talent, Communication and Performance - We stand apart in our ability to find the best people, swiftly and consistently. Our goal is to connect our candidates with our clients that have a similar goal of improving the healthcare organizations and communities they serve.
We believe that strong and transparent communication creates an efficient and composed search and is an indispensable ingredient for success. Our pillars of service are accessibility and responsiveness - know that we can be reached in time of crisis, celebration or just to reconnect; we are 24/7 partners not just to our clients but to our candidate partners as well. We provide concierge level service throughout each executive and director level search we conduct.