SENIOR DIRECTOR, PHARMACY SERVICES
HARTZ Search invites you to explore an exciting opportunity with our client, CENTRA Health in Lynchburg, Virginia for a System Senior Director, Pharmacy Services. The Senior Director of Pharmacy is responsible for medication management at all Centra Health facilities. The Senior Director develops, plans, supervises, and monitors all pharmacy related activities. The Senior Director demonstrates initiative, sets priorities, acts decisively, responds to concerns, works collaboratively, and communicates clearly. The ideal candidate for the role will be a leader that is visible, innovative, can manage change effectively and a transformational leader. The new leader will need to focus on pharmacy optimization, utilizes benchmarks and best practices to identify Centra Health’s pharmacy strengths, priorities for improvement and key opportunities waiting to be developed into new revenue streams.
Centra Health is a regional, independent nonprofit healthcare system based in Lynchburg, Virginia. It was created in 1987 through the merger of the Lynchburg General (LGH) and Virginia Baptist (VBH) hospitals. In 2006, Southside Community Hospital (CSCH) in Farmville joined Centra as an affiliate. In 2014, Bedford Memorial Hospital, in Bedford, joined Centra’s network and became the 4th hospital in the system. With more than 8,500 employees, 400 employed providers and physicians and a medical staff of nearly 800, providing care in 70 locations, Centra serves over 500,000 people throughout central and southern Virginia. Centra provides medical services to patients across a geographic area roughly the size of the state of New Jersey, covering approximately 8,000 square miles, through many facilities and practices.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Advises the medical staff on the appropriate use of medication. Serves as Secretary of the Pharmacy & Therapeutics Committee and participates in the management of the drug formulary.
- Assures continuous improvement of medication management processes. Assists with the development of corporate performance indicators that relate to the use of medication.
- Assures customer satisfaction relating to medication management processes and other pharmacy services.
- Assures regulatory compliance with State and Federal laws that pertain to the practice of pharmacy. Assures compliance with the medication management standards published by JCAHO. Assures that professional practice standards are maintained. Maintains records as required by State and Federal law; maintains adequate control and accountability of medications. Monitors drug distribution and identifies variances.
- Establishes procedures to prevent and detect the diversion of controlled substances.
- Develops medication management policy and assures that procedures are defined for the proper handling of medications
- Leads and develops the pharmacy management team.
- Manages human resources and assists direct reports. Promotes staff engagement. Provides for appropriate orientation and training. Provides an adequate appropriately licensed and credentialed workforce. Provides clinical services including drug dosing (pharmacokinetics), nutritional support, antibiotic stewardship, and other consulting services.Evaluates performance.
- May be asked to speak for the organization on drug related matters to the media and the community as determined by the marketing department. Represents the organizations interests regarding access to medication by the community.
- Oversees the development, implementation, and use of pharmacy information systems and automated devices.
- Precepts and develops pharmacy residents
- Responsible for the overall financial management of the Centra pharmacies. Develops budgets and explains variances. Manages pharmacy contracts. Assures an adequate drug supply including stocks of antidotes and emergency medications.
- Responsible for the safe use of medication. Chairs the Medication Safety Committee.
- Serves on the Institutional Review Board and facilitates drug and device human subjects research. Supports initiatives throughout the organization that require pharmacy services.
- 4 Central Pharmacy locations, Retail Pharmacy locations, and Ambulatory Pharmacy locations
- Reports directly to the Vice President, Site Administrator
- 4 Direct Reports, 105 FTE’s and a budgetary responsibility of $105M.
- Pharmacy Residency Program
- Competitive compensation, Annual Incentive Program, relocation offered
- Graduate of a college of pharmacy accredited by the American College on Pharmaceutical Education. The Doctor of Pharmacy degree is required (grandfathering of the B.S. degree in pharmacy is acceptable for degrees awarded prior to January 1, 2003). An advanced degree in hospital or business administration is desirable.
- Significant clinical pharmacy experience. A pharmacy practice residency is desirable. Greater than 5 years of pharmacy practice in a supervisory role is desirable. Significant experience with pharmacy information systems is desirable.
- The director of pharmacy holds a current Virginia Pharmacy License and is eligible for the Board of Pharmacy designation "Pharmacist-in-Charge".
- Strong finance background, budgeting skills, equipment selection and exceptional physician relations
LOCATION – Lynchburg, Virginia:
Lynchburg, Virginia is located in the Central Virginia region at the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains. It is known as the "City of Seven Hills." Lynchburg is the home of Randolph College, Lynchburg College, Virginia University of Lynchburg and Liberty University, and is a center of cultural activities such as concerts, plays, lecture series and art shows.
Thomas Jefferson's Poplar Forest is in Lynchburg, the home of Anne Spencer - the Harlem Renaissance poet. Lynchburg offers state parks, shopping, cultural events, hiking, golf and a budding culinary scene. You are close to the Blue Ridge Parkway, Roanoke, Richmond and Charlottesville, VA.
INTERESTED CANDIDATES, PLEASE APPLY TO Directly to HARTZ Search:
Qualified candidates, please submit your current resume - applications will not be considered without a resume. Thank you!