SENIOR VICE PRESIDENT
ENTERPRISE RISK MANAGEMENT, CHIEF COMPLIANCE OFFICER
JPS HEALTH NETWORK
FORT WORTH, TEXAS
HARTZ Search invites you to explore an exciting opportunity with our client, JPS HEALTH NETWORK in Fort Worth, Texas, for a Senior Vice President, Enterprise Risk Management (ERM), Chief Compliance Officer. The SVP, Enterprise Risk Management and Chief Compliance Officer reports to the Board of Managers and is a member of the senior executive team reporting administratively to the President & Chief Executive Officer (CEO). The position is selected jointly by Administration and the Board of Managers. The SVP, Enterprise Risk Management and Chief Compliance Officer functions as an independent and objective leader who strategically plans, designs and implements, maintains and monitors the Tarrant County Hospital District enterprise risk management functions. The SVP leads the Risk Management, Corporate Compliance, and Ethics and Internal Audit departments and programs. The SVP also has administrative oversight over the Director of Internal Audit and is responsible for ensuring all District risks are appropriately on the work plan(s) of Risk Management, Compliance, and/or Internal Audit. The SVP is responsible for ensuring that the District (including the Board of Managers, leadership/management, practitioners and employees) is in compliance with all applicable Federal, State and local laws and regulations, that JPS policies and procedures facilitate said compliance and are being followed, and that behavior in the District’s members are consistent with the District’s Standards of Conduct. The SVP serves as both the District’s Enterprise Risk Officer and Chief Compliance Officer. Oversees all activities related to the privacy of and access to patient health information in compliance with Federal and State laws and the JPS information privacy practices. Maintains District and professional ethical standards and ensures all internal audit and compliance activities are consistent with best practices and the highest industry standards.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES/ FUNCTIONS FOR THE ROLE:
- Responsible for developing and implementing corporate compliance programs which is consistent with applicable regulatory guidance and is demonstrably effective in its detection and prevention of legal and regulatory non-compliance.
- Responsible for mitigation of business risks of all varieties and for insurance and risk management and/or business continuity planning activities for the District.
- Oversees the periodic revision of the District’s compliance program in light of changes in the needs of the health system and in the law and regulations of government agencies. This oversight entails ensuring appropriate investigations and responses to inquiries received from employees or outside agencies; implementation of compliance monitors and audits; maintenance of a compliance hotline/reporting system: general and specific compliance education and training and disciplinary action for violations of law, rules and regulations.
- Responsible for fostering a District-wide culture of compliance.
- Responsible for creating and maintaining an active and engaged corporate compliance committee that is consistent with CMS-OIG guidance.
- Approves the purpose, scope and approach of all compliance program audits and projects. Measures effectiveness of the programs. Actively facilitates key governance, risk, and compliance discussions.
- Approves all programs, budgets, work papers, permanent files and reports in compliance and risk management departments. Work with management to ensure compliance, audit, and risk management findings are addressed effectively and completely.
- Reviews and approves the budget for the internal audit department.
- Monitors and reports results of the compliance and audit efforts of JPS and provides guidance to the Board of Managers, senior leadership and practitioners on the progress of implementation of a compliance and performance improvement culture. Assists leadership in establishing methods to improve efficiency and quality of services, and to reduce vulnerability to fraud, abuse, and waste.
- Maintains current knowledge of federal, state, and local laws, regulations and other information affecting the JPS operations; keeps abreast of recent changes.
- Monitors and performs risk assessments of the business and health care delivery activities engaged in by JPS employees, leaders, contractors, agents and practitioners.
- Oversees the development of the annual Audit and Compliance Work Plan that reflects the District’s highest risk that will be monitored by the audit and compliance function as determined by conducting a collaborative mandatory annual risk assessment utilizing an enterprise-wide approach.
- Provides guidance to the Board of Managers, senior leadership, employees, and practitioners on compliance, privacy, ethics and audits.
- Provides reporting on a regular basis, and as directed or requested, to keep the Board of Managers, senior leadership, and practitioners informed of the operation and progress of compliance efforts. Assists with the development of action plans to improve efficiency and quality of services, and to reduce the vulnerability to fraud, abuse and waste.
- Develops policies, procedures and programs that encourages all employees, leaders, contractors, agents, and practitioners to report suspected compliance and ethics violations without fear of retaliation.
- Collaborates with the Human Resources Department and other as appropriate to develop an effective multifaceted compliance and privacy training program that instills a culture of compliance. This includes appropriate education for the Board of Managers, introductory training for new employees as well as ongoing training for all employees, leaders, practitioners, students, volunteers and contractors. Ensures that all appropriate employees, leaders, contractors, agents and practitioners are knowledgeable of, and comply with, pertinent Federal and State laws.
- Collaborates with other departments (e.g., Quality, Finance, Human Resources, etc.) to direct compliance and privacy issues to appropriate existing channels for investigation and resolution. Consults with the Office of General Counsel as needed to resolve difficult legal compliance issues. Responds to government investigations and queries as the principle point of contact.
- Independently investigates and acts on matters related to compliance including the flexibility to design and coordinate internal investigations (e.g., responding to reports of problems, ‘hot-line’ calls, or suspected violations) and any resulting corrective actions with all health District departments, providers and sub-providers, agents and, if appropriate, independent contractors.
- Ensures proper reporting of violations or potential violations duly authorized enforcement agencies as appropriate and/or required.
- Monitors external audit review processes, maintains awareness of compliance issues, and in conjunction with the Office of General Counsel and senior leadership, responds to administrative inquiries related to compliance issues or audits.
- Demonstrates an expert-level understanding of range of qualitative modeling techniques used in risk analysis.
- Informs the Board of Managers about important issues and material violations.
- Serves as a role model for compliant behavior consistent with the mission, vision and values of JPS.
JPS Health Network is a $1 Billion, tax-supported health care system for Tarrant County in North Texas. This award winning network is anchored by John Peter Smith Hospital, which is a 573-bed acute care in Fort Worth, Texas. JPS has the only Level 1 Trauma Center in Tarrant County and the county’s only psychiatric emergency services site. JPS is also a certified Chest Pain Center, Certified Primary Stroke Center and an Accredited American College of Surgery Cancer Center. JPS has a Level lll Neonatal Intensive Care Center (NICU). JPS Health Network received the Modern Healthcare Best Places to Work 2017 designation placing JPS among the top 150 healthcare companies in the nation. JPS is the only public entity in Texas included on the list of 2017 Best Places to Work, one of the most coveted honors in the industry.
POSITION DETAILS & REQUIREMENTS:
- The position reports to the Chief Executive Officer
- Advanced degree in Healthcare Administration, Business Administration, Accounting, Finance, Juris Doctorate or related field required.
- Minimum ten (10) years’ experience in enterprise risk management and corporate compliance in a healthcare environment with a minimum of seven (7) years leadership experience.
- Prior experience with healthcare systems, health plans or managed care organizations required.
- Management experience in a health care-related organization or teaching hospital.
- Ability to establish and maintain a professional relationship with physicians, supervisors and other hospital staff.
- Competitive Compensation, Annual Incentive plan, pension and excellent benefits
LOCATION – FORT WORTH
Fort Worth is the 15th-largest city in the United States and part of the No. 1 tourist destination in Texas, welcoming more than 9.1 million visitors annually. Comprised of eight primary entertainment districts, each distinct offering dining, shopping, entertainment, and cultural amenities. In only a few days, you can enjoy a range of experiences: from NASCAR racing to rodeos, world-class museums to cowboy cuisine, boutique shopping to a Top 5 zoo, biking to horseback riding. Fort Worth offers outstanding education, both public and private, affordable housing options, and you are less than 20 miles from one of the world’s largest airports with direct flights all over the world.
INTERESTED CANDIDATES PLEASE APPLY TO HARTZ Search:
HARTZ Search is a retained, executive search firm conducting searches for our Healthcare and Academic clients across the US. Our focus is on Talent, Communication and Performance - We stand apart in our ability to find the best people, swiftly and consistently. Our goal is to connect our candidates with our clients that have a similar goal of improving the healthcare organizations and communities they serve.
We believe that strong and transparent communication creates an efficient and composed search and is an indispensable ingredient for success. Our pillars of service are accessibility and responsiveness - know that we can be reached in time of crisis, celebration or just to reconnect; we are 24/7 partners not just to our clients but to our candidate partners as well. We provide concierge level service throughout each executive and director level search we conduct.